Last updated on January 10th, 2023 at 10:26 am
Trilium Notes is a hierarchical note taking application with focus on building large personal knowledge bases
- Notes can be arranged into arbitrarily deep tree. Single note can be placed into multiple places in the tree
- Rich WYSIWYG note editing including e.g. tables, images and math with markdown autoformat
- Support for editing notes with source code, including syntax highlighting
- Fast and easy navigation between notes, full text search and note hoisting
- Seamless note versioning
- Note attributes can be used for note organization, querying and advanced scripting
- Synchronization with self-hosted sync server
- Sharing (publishing) notes to public internet
- Strong note encryption with per-note granularity
- Sketching diagrams with built-in Excalidraw (note type “canvas”)
- Relation maps and link maps for visualizing notes and their relations
- Scripting – see Advanced showcases
- REST API for automation
- Scales well in both usability and performance upwards of 100 000 notes
- Touch optimized mobile frontend for smartphones and tablets
- Night theme
- Evernote and Markdown import & export
- Web Clipper for easy saving of web content
Before we start, please ensure you have Docker installed. This can be installed through the Synology Package Center.
Create the Docker Folder
Head into File Station and open the Docker folder. Select Create, choose Create folder and name it trilium. (see demonstration)
Create the Scheduled Task
We will now head into Control Panel > Task Scheduler > Create > Scheduled Task and click User-defined script. (see demonstration)
Configure the Scheduled Task
In the window that appears, insert the following:
In the General tab, In the Task field, enter Trilium. From the User list, select root. Uncheck the Enabled option.
In the Schedule tab, Select Run on the following date (make sure It’s today’s date). Now select Do not repeat.
In the Task Settings tab, under Notification, You can choose to turn this on, otherwise skip this. Now copy-paste the following code into the Run command area. Now click OK.
docker run -d \ --name trilium \ -p 8482:8080 \ -v /volume1/docker/trilium:/home/node/trilium-data \ zadam/trilium:latest
Important: Ensure you update the code to reflect your details.
Accept the warning prompt
When the below warning appears, press OK.
Run the Scheduled Task
From the list of tasks, select Trilium. From the top menu, press Run.
When prompted to run, press Yes.
Create Reverse Proxy
Head into Control Panel > Login Portal > Advanced. Click Reverse Proxy and then click Create. A dialog box will appear prompting you to edit the following settings (ensure you change the values to your own). If you do not yet have a DDNS, you can find a guide on how to do this here. Once done, press Save.
|Reverse Proxy Name||Trilium|
|Hostname||trilium.yourhostname.me (You can change trilium to whatever you like)|
|Hostname||localhost or your Synology IP address|
That’s it installed. Open your browser and go to https://trilium.yourhostname.me or by your NAS IP such as 192.168.68.128:8482.
On the page that loads, tick I’m a new user, and I want to create new Trilium document for my notes.
Once completed, you should see the following password screen. Choose a password and press Set password. Once completed, it will loop you back to the login screen, enter your password to log in.
That’s you, all done!
Docker Compose and Portainer
version: '3.3' services: trilium: container_name: trilium ports: - '8482:8080' volumes: - '/volume1/docker/trilium:/home/node/trilium-data' image: 'zadam/trilium:latest'
Actual AdGuard airsonic Audiobookshelf autobrr Bitcoin Calibre-Web ChatpadAI Cleanarr Composerize Crypto DailyTxT Dashy deemix Deluge Emby EmulatorJS Ethereum Euterpe FileBot FilePizza FileZilla Flame Focalboard FreshRSS Grafana Grocy Heimdall Homarr Home Assistant Homebridge Jackett Jellyfin Jellyseerr Joplin Kavita Komga LanguageTool LibreOffice Lidarr Mealie MediaGoblin Medusa Memegen Minecraft Minecraft Bedrock MQTT MusicBrainz MyMediaForAlexa Navidrome Node-RED NZBGet NZBHydra Ombi Overseerr PaperlessNGX Pashword Password Cards Petio Pi-Hole Picard Plex Portainer PostgreSQL Prowlarr PUID & PGID pwndrop Radarr Radicale Readarr ruTorrent SABnzbd SearX Seed Phrase Shiori Sonarr SpeedTest Stash Storm Tailscale TasmoAdmin Tautulli Theia Trilium TubeSync Unpackerr Uptime Kuma Vaultwarden Watchtower WebPDF Whisparr Wordle YouTubeDL